Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I shoulda pummeled him when I had the chance....

This must be my older brother's second birthday. I am the cute one in the center of the photo. There aren't very many pictures of him before his big kitchen burn accident, which happened about eight months after this photo. I hope I grabbed his hair and pulled hard after the shutter clicked.

About 40 hours ago, I left the dentist, and went to the local grocery to fill my prescription. I've been having horrible headaches lately, and they leave me scrabbling for leftover pain killers from my last big dental event. They're the kind that make me want to arch my back and flail wildly when I search the OTC med rack at the store and can't find what I want. Right now I am on the Motrin, antibiotic and decongestant regime. (I suspect it might be my sinuses. I've eaten more Motrin this week than I have in the past two years.) If it's not covered by one of those meds, it's something REALLY serious. Send flowers.

After I turned my script in, I stood at the deli counter pondering the mysteries of dinner, and my phone rang. It was my little brother, calling from an airport in Hong Kong. "What's wrong with Dad?" Huh?

As it turns out, my dad had a cardiac event (not his first) and is in ICU. I've been in close contact with my nieces, trying to figure out what's going on, what I need to do, and when I need to do it. I suspect a short stint as elder au pair is in my future. I want to send his happy ass to his local senior center a few days a week because a) they will feed him, b) he's so damned lonely, c) it will give him something to bitch to/about, and d) it would be revenge for sending us kids to every damned Saturday morning class (I was an oddity because I never got to watch The Banana Splits). But I think I have a better shot at getting him out of the house if I set up the transportation, plan for the meals, and maybe even go with him the first time. If I prepay, he won't waste my 2.00.

So what's that got to do with the little boy in the cap? Nothing...because I haven't heard from him. I'd like to accept the nomination for president of the Sibs are Losers club.

My head hurts so much I haven't finished my second sock.

13 comments:

Enid said...

I hope you dad gets better soon. I send you all my prayers. xoxo e

Grace said...

OH Bets, I wanted to be president, I could go on for hours about loser siblings!!!! But I have always been a good secretary. I send you lots of daisies and a couple of daffodils for spring Feel better!

Joan said...

Sorry bets, all the sibs-are-losers noms have been filled by mine.

Anonymous said...

I second your nomnation.

Bets, I am so sorry to hear this is happening. Please let me know if there's anything I can help with.

bri

CatBookMom said...

We will not speak of my stories qualifying me for membership in the SAL club. It's not good for my blood pressure.

I am SO sorry to know you've been having bad headaches. You know I know about those, and I'm already having sympathy pain. Try the lavender eye mask from HUGe, a darkened room, and some of your favorite soothing music.

LisaW. said...

aaaggghhh...sinus headaches are sheer misery. drugs of varying kinds and lots of 'em are the ticket. Feel better soon ok......do ya ever wonder if the sibs think that we're the losers cuz we're such suckers and are stable and take care of problems and stuff....naaah..they're all too narcisistic for that. (oh by the way..the musk ox were at Wild Alaska....down by Girdwood....not the farm in Palmer.) hope tomorrows a better day.

Anonymous said...

Please find out the cause of your headaches - you'll feel much better to deal with the "other headaches"...
Beat wishes for your Dad.

Marta

Anonymous said...

Acck, Bets! Sinus events and cardiac events all in one week. You need a cave to crawl into. Hope those antibiotics do their stuff soon and that you can hop a plane to see your dad. It is always better when you can see them in person rather than worry at a distance.
Good luck, kiddo. I'll be sending good thoughts.
Les

Anonymous said...

Oh Bets, I can feel your pain the last couple days - I've had severe migraines all my life and sinus issues causing headache too. I hope you will find something that works for you - they are such Life stealers. Hope your Dad will be well soon. My Sibs are pretty OK - I feel blessed when I hear what some people have to put up with, makes my family seem pretty normal. In spite of all this, you have some (ironic) humour to spare - The Banana Splits? - I remember loving them, the few times I saw them :). Feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

Bets, that's tough stuff - all of it. Isn't it the pits when you're the only grownup in the group? Take care of yourself, girly. Sending you hugs, good thoughts and your usual kickass strength.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the headaches, mine have been getting worse too.I just chomp on the Excedrin and whine. At least you still have pretty clear affection for your sib even if he doesn't do what you need him to. Good luck with your dad.

jayne said...

There is a lot of sub-plot in this post. You can be president of SAL if I can be a member of the club. I'm pretty sure mine think I'm the loser now because I've given myself so much distance from them. I don't mind the role.

I'm so sorry about your dad and your head. I understand about the head. Things that I do: hot baths, massage therapy (you've earned one) or a shiatsu, and Robaxicet Platinum (motrin plus a muscle relaxant). That Platinum is costly but well worth it.

Or Xanax, but maybe you're not quite there yet. :)

You look your mom, but you've probably been told that.

Anonymous said...

Bets,
I am sending well wishes your way for both your father and you! Your mom was a beauty, young mother with two adorable children, so appealing. I am hoping that things resolve itself between you and brother, and I think there's a good chance it will, given the high level of good humor in your family. Nothing is as stressful to a family as when it comes time to share in caring for aging parents, you will get through it!