I have a long straight thing that needs a SEVERE blocking. I wet it down, and left it on the porch last night, so it would be damp. I woke up this morning to RAIN, which meant that the sodden mess I set out to dry last night was still a sodden mess. Yuck.
Later, Chris came toolin' into the shop today with------BLOCKING wires! Just in the nick of time!!! Actually, they aren't Blocking Wires, they're 36" brass rods from the welder's supply place. Six dollars per pound. Chris reminded me that Benne laid this idea out on the table a few months ago on the Elann board.
Actually, her husband came up with the idea. I think this guy is pretty knitter friendly-we need to put him in charge of knitterly acouterments. He was the one who realized that yarn yardage counters are just Shakespear fishing line gauges mounted on a stable base. He figured the blocking wires couln't be much different than these skinny metal rods. He polished a set up for Benne, and that's how we found out about them. (If I wasn't working in black yarn, I might polish these, but I think these will be ok as is.) By the way, they ARE perfectly straight-I must have moved one on the scanner.