Wednesday, May 02, 2007

When I grow up....


I remember a trip I took in 2nd grade. Little me sat in the airplane seat impatiently. The proud bird with the golden tail was taking my family from Chicago to CALIFORNIA. In those days, airline meals were actually meals, not just a bag of pretzels and a Coke. When my meal came, I checked the menu card, and saw that the entree was spinach souffle. I gingerly tried it, and was instantly hooked! I resolved right then and there that I would eat this "when I grow up." Lucky for me, Stouffer's had the catering contract with Continental. Some 40 years later, it's the only "TV dinner" I actually seek out. Boston Market's creamed spinach pales in comparison.
Nothing much on the knitting front, just a bunch of stuff that's near completion. Stay tuned for photos.

5 comments:

benne said...

Bets, I dislike cooked spinach unless it's in spanakopita. I haven't tried the Stouffer's but I will since you give it high marks. When youngest DD was a baby I fed her creamed spinach. I knew it was good for her and she loved it. I had to turn my head when I spooned it in her mouth because the smell nauseated me so badly. Then, years later, my friend Jose made me spanakopita and I did a big turnaround on spinach.

junior_goddess said...

That's baby food for you, Benne. The only baby food worth eating is the fruit, custard and teething biscuits. If DH will eat spinach, I'd buy one and split it between the two of you,just to try. Or Nic.

Joan said...

One of Jean's favorites! It's soft and easy for her to swallow.

Suzann said...

There is a Northern Italian dish that has spinach, rice and large amounts of Parmesan cheese. It is baked in a flaky crust. Sometimes called Spinach Torte or just please please I will do anything if you make it for me, torte
Sometimes I make a small one for me as a treat. The rest of the mob are only interested in Italian food if it has tomato sauce
Have to give Stouffer's a try

junior_goddess said...

Everyone in my house will eat creamed spinach, which isn't far off. My youngest took it into her head that she didn't like spinach, and protested loudly every time I served it, so she only got a dab. And she always went back for a second spoonful.