Sunday, October 01, 2006

It's not EXACTLY a prayer shawl....

I just finished the Comfort Shawl I started a few days back. I'll post a picture in the morning-it's dripping on the back porch right now.

It dawned on me that I've done three shawls this year that I've called prayer shawls. There really is no other term for them.

The first was one I sent to my aunt; unbeknownst to me, my younger cousin was on the brink of a massive stroke when she made her husband take her to the ER. My aunt sat with her day after day (while adjusting to her own very recent widowhood) so the shawl showed up right on time.

The second, I sent to a friend of a friend. She's going on a journey these days, and I hope it will be swift and merciful.

This last one will be for an aquaintance who's had a rude shock after an annual exam.

What is it, why do I do this? This tugging and swirling of string and sticks in the hope that I can make something better for someone...chances are I probably can't. I am not exactly certain. Do I do this for their prayers, or to give physical evidence of mine?

8 comments:

Grace said...

absolutely both, prayer shawls help the recipient to feel loved when all else seems mute and it gives us something to do. THe infamous "if I can do anything" is almost never met with a response so this is the something we do, the tangible proof the giftee and their situation matter. It is so sweet of you to remember these people, it comes from your heart.

The selfish side of me wishes to receive a prayer shawl myself someday (I hint to my daughters all the time) that I too can feel the warmth of anothers love.

This is what I love most about knitting, the giving!! have a wonderful day my friend!

Anonymous said...

Don't underestimate the power of of improving someone's life. I made a prayer shawl for my aunt's daughter, who was diagnosed with cancer. With each stitch, I thought of Linda, and although I never met her, in some small way, I know my prayers helped. Now my aunt wears it whenever she thinks of her.

jayne said...

I think Grace and Trish said it all. My counsellor is a wise woman. She says that we tend to give out to the world what we would like for ourselves. This is not selfish so much as it is true. The giving out is a gift of love, with all longings attached. I made a prayer shawl for a difficult woman I know. I can't love her very well in person, but she is thrilled to have the shawl I made.

CatBookMom said...

The power of prayer, or positive thinking, however each of us may think of our focussed thoughts for someone in physical or emotional need, cannot be measured. But I firmly believe that there is good in these thoughts, and you have sent forth a bounty of caring for these women.

Anonymous said...

You do it because you are you, and you are a person of action. You acted on Tim's behalf when you barely knew me, sending him all those things to reassure him of his safety, you are the only person I know who would grab Gladware and use it to mail candles to a friend who needed a lift...I could go on and on. You do it because some people can wish they did something, but you have to actually do the something, and this is one of the somethings you can do.
It is just the way you are, and one of the reasons you are so fiercely lovable. But just one...

T, loving you fiercely.

junior_goddess said...

Good, because I was crying while I was writing that, T. So many people I know are S T R U G G L I N G right now with serious crap.

Anonymous said...

Bets, you reach out, brighten a day, let people know someone cares, is thinking about them. I know this from my own experiences, you helped me through some very tough times. It's part of who you are, and you make a difference. For all of the right reasons - just because you do care. And that's one of the reason I love you.

Anonymous said...

You do it because, BETS you're good people.

:D

I've been on the recieving end of your care, and it's really appreciated.