Friday, September 29, 2006

My foodie friends-

I have a customer who runs the liquor department at a big-box store. She knows we are wine-ers and often brings demonstration leftovers for us to try at home. Some of the wines are good; the wines that aren't that wonderful often make it into sauces or soups. Just picture me in my sweats and slippers, drinking wine and adding it to a bubbling pot on the stove! Wait, better add curlers in my hair for a really good mental picture.

Another one of my friends is a foodie-she likes food, she likes to cook food, she likes to read cookbooks. She sent me a recipe this week in an email titled "Damn, this is GOOD!" Note the lovely cooking dribbles on it. Those are indications of a well loved recipe. I have chicken, I have wine. Guess what we are having for dinner tonight?

PS-I received a comment that indicated that this recipe was from "The Bridge" series of Canadian cookbooks, which are not well known in my part of the US. I've linked this post to their website.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm... I always use cheap wine for cooking! I know those cooking shows say to always use the best wine you can afford, but in that case, it's going in my mouth, not the pot!

junior_goddess said...

Oh, I am planning to use the best free wine I can afford in this!

Bets

Bri McS said...

Foodie friend checking in here. Interesting recipe. I see something about 1/2 c. of butter (1 stick)- how can that plus wine be bad?? Pick a wine, irregardless of cost (although Trish clearly watches some of the shows that I do that say pick the best you can afford) that you like the flavor of because it'll concentrate as it cooks. Does this mean that you'll be joining the ranks of the cook book reading sometime soon? Let me know, I'll send over some classic titles! ;)

junior_goddess said...

Oh, this is not a problem, Bri, I have plenty. BTW, this recipe is Les'!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I want a wine friend like that!! But I guess I shouldn't complain. On the other side of my kitchen wall is a shelf of reds and whites I can grab at any time (we have a general store and can sell booze- parties here are good!)

Let me know how the chicken was!
Les

jayne said...

I love those Best of Bridge cookbooks. We get a lot of our favorites from those. I've got to send you a fantabulous recipe for a wine peppercorn sauce to serve over steak. I have a friend who is friends with a chef. He teaches her things, and she passes them along to me.