Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Vote early, vote often!!


When DH wandered in he asked me if I wanted to go with him to pick up new pants. "Honey, don't you wanna go vote?" "Oh yeah!" I handed him a small bowl of spinach lasagna, and we discussed our strategy. "Hmmm-I was thinking about voting Democrat for Hillary-if..." I broke in "That's what Chris was saying! McCain can take Hillary, Obama, I am not so sure about!" We discussed the local scoundrels we wanted to ditch.


The place was packed. The little church was busier at 5:15 on a Tuesday evening than it is on Sunday morning. And it wasn't potluck dinner night, either! We waited in line. It's not the first time we've waited in line, but usually, it's 6:50 in the morning, and we wait for the polls to open. The line swelled after we arrived, and I counted more than 30 people behind me before we made it to the front door!


Once inside, I waved at people I knew. It was packed! Election officials were scurrying back and forth. "Do you know how I do a first time voter?" I heard one woman say. The Democrat line was LONG. I just watched the evening news, and the Democrats are still almost equally divided.


DH got his ballot before I did, and I was really puzzled why it took him so long to finish his ballot. When we left, I asked him what took him so long. "Who the hell is Ho Tranh?" What? "He's a Republican presidential candidate." I quit reading the list after Fred Thompson. He dropped out weeks ago. I admitted I hadn't read the whole list, but told DH "Honey, he's born in the US, and over 35." DH was a little concerned about his own qualifications to run for president. He was born at a military hospital overseas. "I think you count because it is a US hospital. Like being born at an embassy. But Arnold can't run." He felt a little better then.


We got to the store, and I noticed how smokey the air smelled. There was a large brown cloud to the southeast, and one to the southwest. "I saw two really big fires on the way home," DH said. We stopped and got a snack, and DH peered over my shoulder. "What are you looking at?"


Another fire. To the north. We need rain.


1 comment:

Suzann said...

I think the ballots must have been printed up before all those other folks gave it up.
DH voted for McCain, I didn't. It was packed at our polling place also. I wish those same people would show up for local elections, which really effect everyday life.
We had brush fires last week. But have had two good hard rains since then. I hope it rains over you too.