Saturday, May 03, 2008

591.69

In December, we stopped smoking. I quit on the day after Christmas, DH, about a week or so before. We did it with Chantix.

Taxes played a role in my decision to quit. I suspected they were quite high. Single packs of cigarrettes average between 4.29-4.99 at my local Stop&Rob, and come it at 39.00-49.00 per carton. When I went to China, I looked at the Marlboro ads in Duty Free.


$27.00.


I was tired of bearing the burden of everyone's failed school budget, but no smoker really wants to quit. The impulse is woven like burrs into a dog's coat-after a few years, smokers are enmeshed.


Chantix changed all of that. I felt a reduced urge to smoke with the very first pill I took. But I also felt something else.


I was despondent. Once I figured out that Chantix blocked all my happy receptors, I checked with another Chantix taker. She reported that at her house "they were afraid of me". Oh! Well, ok. I don't think this drug will be on the market too long. But, since it actually worked, I knew that I had to do my part. DH and I both quit. Concurrently.
And no one died, tho we did have to buy bigger pants. That 591.69? That's my saving since the beginning of the year. TRIPLE it for the household savings. This year, that will amount to over 5300.00. That's a lot.
Wonder if they'll decide to tax beer now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big congratulations, Bets, to both of you!!! And I think you can justify more yarn...

Marta

Grace said...

A huge undertaking and you did it, you deserve major kudos, may they come to you in the abundance of yarn!

CatBookMom said...

Huge amounts of kudos to you and your DH for quitting smoking. It is a horribly difficult thing to do, and I hope the Chantix helps a lot.

I smoked 2+ packs a day, and I quit cold-turkey in 1992, when I changed jobs and so moved to a non-smoking building. It was the most difficult thing I ever did, and I was a raving bee-ya-itch for months; didn't help that perimenopause arrived about the same time.

I can't say I still have cigarette cravings, though I wonder if I wouldn't get back to my size 7 self if I changed my diet back to what I had in my 30s - coffee, cigarettes and scotch. Just wonderin'. Really.

Hugs and cheers to you both!

smariek said...

Woohoo! You did it! Hooray!

Hey, if a higher percentage of gas prices went to taxes, then you might be inclined to ride your bike instead. Then this would limit how much you can pick up during your beer run...