Saturday, August 29, 2009

There will be no dog in my house tonight.



She'll be in the back yard, perpetually warming her belly and rolling in the grass.



I am certain that we grieve for our pets because they make us better people. They just want to be by our sides, trusting that we'll pat the space on the couch and invite them for a snuggle. There's nothing like a dog rejoicing "Oh, you came HOME!" that makes us glad of our homes. And only a dog can convince you that your latest culinary disaster is indeed edible. They don't hold grudges. They don't insult. They don't bitch....much. I have learned to read subtext from my dog, learned that happiness is 60 pounds curled in your lap, and learned that compassion is not selfish. Compassion sees pain and befuddlement, and recognizes that joints are screaming.

My dog taught me a lot. I hope I lived up to her expectations.

16 comments:

Pixie said...

Again, my deepest condolences on your loss of Sugar. It sounds like she was so very loved and lucky to have a wonderful family who appreciated her as well. - Pixie

NightOwlKnits said...

Oh Bets, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know that Suggy was one of those wonderful souls who you held close in your heart and her loss is deep indeed.

Sending you good thoughts and {{{big hugs}}}!

leekruser2003@yahoo.com said...

I'm sorry, I hope your heart mends soon, even though it will always have a Suggy sized hole it will eventually hold another companion I'm sure.
Hugs

Grace said...

OH Bets, I am so sorry!!! Many hugs!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry! ~Della

Anonymous said...

Bets, I'm so sorry!!! This is one of those times when words fail me...
Hugs,
Marta

Cindy G said...

Oh Betsy, I am so sorry for your loss. To say goodbye for now to such unconditional love is hard. And sometimes the compassionate choice feels like the hardest choice we will every make. I hope the sun is warm on Suggy by St. Francis' side.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear of your loss. Take care and remember the snuggles you once shared. Now off to snuggle my guy.

Cece said...

Boxers live on in our hearts forever. My condolances.

Les said...

Awww, poor old Suggy. Tho I never met her, she seemed very sweet. I am so sorry Bets. There will be a big gap on the couch.

Anonymous said...

Bets, I am so sorry about Sugar. I really feel your pain.
:(

Marcia said...

I'm sorry Betsy. I hope I have your courage and wisdom to recognize when it's time to release Cheddar from his pain. My thoughts are with you.

Marcia said...

P.S. I decided a while back that the rolling in the grass first thing in the morning is the equivalent of the human's morning shower. Your picture made me think of that.

kathy b said...

I just came from Grace's introduction to you post. Dear Bets, our beloved dog Huck was put down on Saturday. I know your pain. Maybe they met each other because Grace knows them both. I cannot wait to get his ashes tomorrow so he will be back home with me. I'm truly sorry for your parting with your dear dog.

Georgi said...

I am so sorry, I hope the pain soon eases.

Unknown said...

Having just gone through it. My thoughts and condolences are w you. I find comfort in the saying, "All Dog go to Heaven."

Dan